I am really amazed at the endurance level of the participants in this ultra-marathon race. For those outside the Philippines, BDM or Bataan Death March is a historic event that happened during World War II (1939-45) wherein numerous Filipino and American troops were forcibly transferred from Saysain Point, Bagac, Bataan and Mariveles to Camp O’Donnell, Capas, Tarlac, via San Fernando, Pampanga which was a 65-mile march. It was a Death March because many died due to fatigue, sickness, and other reasons brought about by the effects of war.
This event did not happen in Baguio City.
To commemorate the heroes, the Bataan Death March (BDM) 102K Team Relay Race was organized by Jovie Narcise or most famous in the running world as the Bald Runner.
The 1st 102K 5-Man Relay Race for the Bataan Death March (BDM) Race series is part of the BDM Series which already had an 11th edition — which was held last 19 January 2019 in a reverse route that started at San Fernando City, Pampanga and ended at Mariveles, Bataan — while this 1st BDM 102K Team Relay Race was held last 6 April 2019 which started at Mariveles, Bataan and ended at San Fernando City, Pampanga.
Six teams participated and the Official Results are as follows:
- Team Philippine Air Force (A2C Sermona, A2C Nerza, A2C Guarte, A2C Villamor and A2C Lardera) – 7:05:27 (Overall Champion, All Male, Course Record)
- Team PowerPuff Boys – 8:52:56 (Overall 1st Runner-Up, All Male)
- Team People’s Champ – 10:02:43 (Overall 2nd Runner-Up, All Male)
- Team Philippine Marines – 10:33:14 (Champion, Mix Female & Male, Course Record)
- Team KAVOUGE – 11:07:26 (Champion, LGBT, Course Record)
- Team BANAYAD – 11:25:23 (1st Runner-Up, Mix Female & Male)
The first 50 kilometers was divided into 5 10-kilometer distances that was ran by each team member and this was done twice for a total of 100 kilometers. The last 2 kilometers of the event was ran by all five team members as a Group or Team on a Single File formation. The last 20 meters to the finish line was an optional side-by-side race for the team members.